Sedation Dentistry in Orange County
The 4M Dental Implant Treatment is Painless
with Sedation Dentistry
Avoiding the dentist is a sure way to create bigger – and more expensive – oral health issues. Fear and anxiety of going to the dentist aren’t the only reasons why patients choose sedation dentistry.
Sedation dentistry is helpful for those who have very low pain thresholds, extra sensitive teeth, or need an extensive amount of work done.
Depending upon the procedure you’re having, your level of unease/comfort, and health, all will play a part in determining the type of sedation that is right for you.
Types of Sedation Dentistry
- Minimal sedation will relieve your apprehension, you’ll feel calm and relaxed. At this level of sedation you are conscious with a minimum effect on your senses. Inhaling nitrous oxide (laughing gas) or taking doctor prescribed pills, such as Halcion, are ways to achieve minimal sedation.
- Moderate sedation is a lessened state of consciousness. You will be very relaxed, groggy and possibly doze off. Throughout the procedure you’ll be aware of the doctor and assistants and will be able to respond appropriately. Though conscious, you may not remember the procedure. Moderate sedation is reached usually with a higher dosage of prescribed Halcion.
- Deep sedation, also referred to as ‘twilight sedation’, is a depression of consciousness where you sleep, but can still respond to the doctor and assistants when they need you too. Patients typically don’t recall their procedure at this level of sedation.
An IV is used to administer the drug to attain deep sedation. The drug is introduced into your bloodstream enabling it to take effect quickly. The IV allows the doctor to adjust the dosage as needed throughout your procedure. Under deep sedation, you are able to breath on your own without the need for additional oxygen.
- General anesthesia is what is known as being ‘put under’. This is a state of total unconsciousness in which you are unable to respond to outside stimuli and will have no memory of the procedure.
At 4M Dental Implant Center, we do not offer general anesthesia as there are no procedures we do that require it. We offer are minimal, moderate, and deep sedation.
Is Sedation Dentistry Safe?
Many people have concerns about the safety of sedation. When administered correctly by a trained and licensed professional, sedation is very common and considered safe and suitable for most.
At 4M Dental Implant Center, we take into consideration your overall health, any medications you are taking and what procedure you’re having done.
We employ safety precautions such as making sure you have a responsible driver to bring you to and pick you up from your appointment and we never ever leave you alone for a single moment while you’re asleep – a doctor or an assistant is always by your side.
Dr. Sean Mohtashami is fully licensed and certified in oral and IV sedation.
Here are a few things to keep in mind to ensure a safe and successful oral and/or IV sedation experience:
- Women cannot be pregnant
- Possible side effects may include: prolonged drowsiness, light headedness, amnesia, and nausea
- Must have a responsible adult drive you to and from surgery
- You must come in to your surgery with a COMPLETELY empty stomach – no eating or drinking 8 hours before your surgery
- Refrain from making any important decisions
- No operating big machinery
- Must inform the doctor about any illness you have or medications you’re taking regardless how insignificant it might seem to you
- If you’re having IV sedation keep in mind discomfort, swelling or bruising at the site where the IV was inserted is possible
Will I Feel Any Pain?
Often you sedation dentistry will consist of a combination of a sedative to relax you and an anesthetic to block pain. When given by a certified professional, it’s an effective combination.
Throughout a more intensive procedure, such as a 4M Dental Implant procedure, pain killers are administered during and after with the aid of an IV to make sure you are as comfortable as possible.
Sedation dentistry is safe and effective and will make your visit a comfortable, stress-free one.